When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Poverty Is.....


"We think sometimes that poverty is only being hungry, naked and homeless. The poverty of being unwanted, unloved and uncared for is the greatest poverty. We must start in our own homes to remedy this kind of poverty."   ~Mother Teresa 


Oh, I love this quote.  I think this woman, Mother Teresa, was simply amazing.  I am awed by her service and dedication to God.  I am in wonder at her willingness to help the less fortunate.  Sometimes, it seems as if I struggle just to get by, yet she was willing to give everything up to help those who needed it most.  She was willing to live and work in conditions that I have never had to be in.  She was willing to learn that what the world thought is not what mattered most. 

I have known poverty in my life.  I have lived with bugs and dirt floors.  I have lived in bad neighborhoods.  I have had holes in the walls and no air conditioning or heating.  But, I know that what Mother Teresa taught is true, To be unwanted, unloved and uncared for is the greatest poverty of all. 
I have been accused of being needy at times of my life.  Mostly, when I was much younger.  I have felt the poverty of being unloved and unwanted.  Of never knowing if you are noticed, of being sure that if you died, you would not be missed.  I have felt the hole that leaves, and the aching in my heart as I struggled to find someone, anyone, who needed me. 

I have learned that His love can heal all things.  When it fills our hearts we can endure pain, overcome fear, renew our strength and bless and help others around us.  The more that we love God, the more that we desire to help others.  
Luke 10:27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
When we are filled with God's love, we can do and see and hear things that we wouldn't normally do otherwise.  We can be a light in the lives of those around us, especially those in our own families.  We can help to lift each other out of the poverty of the world.  We can help to lift each other from the pain and fear that surrounds us as we strive to bless, forgive and help.   
I know He lives.  I know He loves us.  I know that he smiles and cares and forgives.  I know that He wants us to know Him.  I know that He is filled with gentleness, kindness, mercy, charity, and forgiveness.  We only need to cast off the poverty of the world and come to Him.   

Linking up with A Holy Experience  and Joy in this Journey, Life: Unmasked, to share today. 

2 comments:

  1. This was such a lovely and inspiring post; thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    Blessings to you for lighting my way today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that quote! And what would the world be like if we all focused on eradicating the poverty of love in our immediate lives? It would be amazing...

    ReplyDelete