When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Faith



When you get to the end of all the light that you know and it's time to step into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing one of two things will happen: either you will be given something solid to stand on or you will be taught how to fly.  Edward Teller

I love that quote on faith!  We seem to live in a world today where people think if they can't see it, hear it, taste it, or touch it right now than it doesn't exist.  Sometimes, I just have to sigh.  I know that it is asking a lot to believe and have faith, but I can get pretty tired of hearing the phrase "it is so hard".  
Of course it is hard!  We were never promised an easy road.  As a matter of fact, I have often heard earthlife described as a test!  All tests are hard, especially if you don't study!  (and more especially, if you can't cheat!)  I love the scripture in Alma 32:21  "If ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true"   
When we read the scriptures, there are countless stories of great men and women who had faith.  They knew what was right, and no matter how hard their task became, they went and did it.  Men and women such as:  Adam, Abraham, Sarah, Ruth, Nephi, the Brother of Jared, Moroni, Joseph Smith, Gordon B Hinckley, and Thomas S Monson.  They have all been obedient to the word of the Lord and exercised faith to live their lives. 
They have all had struggles and difficulty.  Not one of us comes to this world without trials.  Part of the plan was for us to progress, not sit easily on a green hill learning nothing.  Those men and women had ears to hear, eyes to see, and hearts to know and feel.  They trusted in our Heavenly Father and He blessed them and strengthened them in their lives.    If we develop that trust in Him in our own life, He will send down His blessings upon us.   I think His blessings are often there for us, but if we don't ask for them, or look for them in our life, they are not seen or known.  Sometimes faith requires us to ask first for the blessing.
I have been blessed so many times in my life.  I know that the Lord lives and that He is very real.  This is one of the first poems that I ever memorized.  I hope that it strengthens you as it does me and helps you to make it through the darkness of your day.  Remember that He is waiting with His arms stretched out.  All you need to do is reach and take His hand. 



" The Faith of Mary"

The father, a well digger, strong was he,
And as loving and kind as a father could be.
And Mary his daughter, five years old,
Was very much dearer than millions of gold.
To Mary her father was big, grand and nice,
So each had a treasure, beyond any price.
One day to the well, little Mary was sent
To take daddy’s lunch, how gladly she went.
But when she looked down, not a thing could be seen.
The well, like a pocket, was dark as could be.
The father saw Mary and heard her voice, too,
But made not a sound, just to see what she’d do.
She dropped to her knees, the dear little soul,
And called down, “Oh, Daddy, are you down this hole?”
“Why yes Mary darling, I’m here at your feet,
Just drop my lunch for I’m ready to eat.
Just let it go easy, I’ll catch it alright.
“She did and she saw it fall out of sight.
“Why Mary,” said father, “There’s enough here for two,
Now this is the thing I would like you to do.
You jump down here to me and we’ll eat it together,
Down here in the cool and away from the weather.”
“Oh, daddy, I’m afraid, I can’t see you at all,
Be sure now you catch me and don’t let me fall.”
Then just for a moment she wavered in doubt,
Then closing her dear little eyes she jumped out.
In the darkness, yes, that was the test,
She trusted in faith in her father’s request.
And both were so happy he kissed her and smiled
Because of the sweet trusting faith of his child.
“Oh, sweet little Mary, you put me to shame,
How often my Father has called me the same,
But because it was dark I turned back in doubt.
Refusing the call, though his arms were stretched out.”



It's not what you leave to your children,
it's what you leave in your children that matters the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment