When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Thursday, September 16, 2010

Things Cannot Always Be Fixed

Today, I am reminded that we all go through hard times.  That, often, things are not as simple as they appear.  That others my not know or even think that we are in pain.  Today, I have watched others hurt and tried my best to comfort and found myself hurting for their pain.  Today, I realize that I cannot fix everything, or even most things.  There are things that each of us need to experience so that we can grow.  Sometimes those things, cannot be "fixed" they must simply be endured.
My daughter once asked me, "Mom, why do the bad things always happen to our family?"  I did not have the answer then, but as I have pondered this question, I have come to believe that our trials are a blessing to us.  Or rather, they will be a blessing some other time, at a later date.  Maybe now, we don't know why things are happening, or what we are supposed to learn from them.  But later, we will look back and see that every time God gives us a trial, He also sends a blessing.  Sometimes, it takes years to see it, but it is there.  The old saying, "When God closes a door, somewhere He opens a window" has been so true in my life.  We just, occasionally, have a problem seeing the window as a blessing.  
I think of Helen Keller.  She is one of my heroes!  Think how terrible it would be to be literally locked inside yourself.  To not be able to see or hear or communicate with those around you.  Yet, through this great tragedy, there came about ways and means to help literally thousands of people throughout time.  She faced trials greater than any that I have faced.  I can not even imagine what it must have been like to have a voice inside that no one else could understand.  But as terrible as her trials were, look at the blessings that took place.  She not only learned how to communicate, she learned the value and meaning of true friendship.  She spoke in public, she wrote, she continues to influence the way children with disabilities are taught today.
Our Heavenly Father, in His infinite wisdom, knows exactly what we need in our lives that will help us to return to Him.  He knows us, all of our deepest, darkest secrets.  He loves us so much.  So today, my message is one of eternal love.  Never think for a moment that you are alone.  All of your hurts have been felt.  Each time you experience sadness or despair, He is there.  He loves you no matter what terrible things you think you might have done, no matter what your past has been.  He watches you, He weeps with you, He loves you.
Remember, that we only see a part of our lives.  We do not see the future nor do we always remember the past.  We live in the here and now.  We see what is right in front of us.  If we had the power to look over our entire life, than we would see the patterns and the threads.  We would see how the dark is sometimes just as important in the making of us as the light.
I believe that you can not ever start over.  You can not change the past.  Always, parts of it will come with you.  But you can start from now, right this minute, and change the ending of your life.  You can change and influence your decisions from this moment on.
You can come back to Him.

3 comments:

  1. Love your thoughts. As you know, it's similar to what I've been pondering lately. And even though you can't fix everything, you just being there for your friends and sharing your light does help heal. I know you did that for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Patty Ann, you are so right on with this post. He does feel our griefs and
    We spoke about this at Bible study last week, and our teacher askEd us when we've felt the Lord move in us most. And it
    was almost always in or times of trials.
    Beautiful post. You are such a wonderful writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post - and very important for God's children to understand. God really does work out all things for the good of those who love Him. All things for good. Even the bad things work out for good. Looking back over my life - I know this is true. The challenge I have accepted is to thank God, to praise God, when the challenge or trial is upon me. I praise Him and thank Him when in pain. Because I know that He can work out all things for my good.

    In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. . . . And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God

    ReplyDelete