When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Friday, September 17, 2010

I don't know the answer if you don't ask the right question!

My sweet daughter, Anya, came to me last night and wanted some help with her school project.  She was supposed to make a poster highlighting the Scientific Method, which the fourth grade is studying in school.  She had the poster half finished and had written the Acronymn SHEEP for the poster.  I looked at her and asked, "What does sheep mean?" 
"I don't know" Anya replied, "That is why I need you to help me.  If I knew the answer than I wouldn't need your help!"  She was getting just a little bit testy about the situation, as she had been working on it by herself for a while.  So, I spent an hour looking up SHEEP online and the Scientific Method along with it.  I had no luck!  I did not learn that method counting sheep, so I am not at all sure how to help her.
"Mom", she said, "you HAVE to know the answer!"
"Sweetheart, you have to ask the right questions first"
I explained to her what the scientific method was, but I could not (no matter how hard I tried) figure out how to make that method spell sheep.  Finally, she looked at me and told me that it would be alright.  She would ask for help in class.  Her teacher knew ALL the answers.  Then she went off to bed and went to sleep.
Meanwhile, I kept looking for sheep.  I was not successful.  Anya went off to school, talked with her teacher, completed her project and earned all her points.  She asked the right questions to the right person.
In desperation this morning, I called her teacher on the phone and asked.  I wanted to know what it was in case it comes up again this year.  She explained to me that the acronym was one she had made up to help the kids remember what the Scientific Method was.  Really???  No wonder I couldn't find it anywhere!  What happened to text books anyway???   Than she shared it with me.

S = See and observe
H= hypothesis
E= Form your Experiment
E= Do your Experiment
P= Proove Results

I knew about the scientific method, I learned about it and I still remember.  No where in what I learned did we have experiment twice!  I am telling you, these kids are learning things they never taught me in school.  Thank goodness they are so smart!!  If they had to wait for me to get the answer, well, lets just say that I would never be asking the right questions to the right persons!  

Sometimes, learning the Gospel is a lot like my daughters poster project.  You can't get the answers you need until you learn to ask the right questions.  Heavenly Father wants to bless us.  He is waiting to bless us.  But He is also teaching us.  Part of that process involves the need on our parts to ask for His help and guidance.  It doesn't matter how eloquent you are.  It doesn't matter how other people think of you.  The only thing that is important is your own faith and your desire to pray and ask.  Our Heavenly Father has promised us in the Doctrine and Covenants:


"If thou shalt ask, thou shalt receive revelation upon revelation, knowledge upon knowledge, that thou mayest know the mysteries and peaceable things--that which bringeth joy, that which bringeth life eternal."  D&C 42:61
So, what questions do you need to ask?

1 comment:

  1. I have learned that too, that you need to pray about what questions to ask sometimes. I'd like to know the mysteries and the peaceable things!

    ReplyDelete