When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Friday, September 24, 2010

A Sweet Day


Have you ever wanted to know what the Lord would have you do in your life? Have you ever wondered which avenues you should pursue, or which path would have the greatest value to yourself and your family?
I think those are questions each of us have asked at one time or another. In our church, we believe that the heavens are not closed to us. We believe that Heavenly Father still gives us continuing revelations. One of the ways that we can receive that revelation is to go and get a Patriarchal Blessing. This blessing is available to all worthy members of the church.
One of my sweet young daughters, decided a few months ago that she wanted to get her Patriarchal Blessing. I was a little surprised as none of her friends have received theirs yet, and we had not talked about getting hers either. She had come to the conclusion that it was time, all by herself. She made the appointment with the Bishop, received the recommend and waited for our Stake to get a new Patriarch. Finally, this past Sunday, she went for her blessing.
Our family went with her. She was so excited. She had prepared herself, she had made her own decision. She was ready. For those who might not know what that is, Patriarchal blessings are given to worthy members of the Church by ordained patriarchs. Patriarchal blessings contain personal counsel from the Lord. It is like a road map through the pitfalls of life. It can indicate directions and destinations if you are true to the counsel that is given. A blessing can also bring comfort, joy and encouragement as you strive through the trials that will surly come.
For me, my own blessing is very much like a letter from home. It assures me that my Father in Heaven loves me and is aware of me and wants me to be happy. It has acted as a guide to me and a strength when things were difficult. It reminds me who I am and where I want to be. Most of all, it reminds me that my Heavenly Father knows who I am. He is waiting to bless me.
My sweet daughter received her own letter from home. I know how much it means to her now, and I know what it will mean to her as she goes through her life. She IS a daughter of God, who loves her Heavenly Father and He loves her.

“A patriarchal blessing from an ordained patriarch can give us a star to follow, which is a personal revelation from God to each individual. If we follow this star, we are less likely to stumble and be misled. Our patriarchal blessing will be an anchor to our souls, and if we are worthy, neither death nor the devil can deprive us of the blessings pronounced. They are blessings we can enjoy now and forever.”
—President James E. Faust, Second Counselor in the First Presidency, “Priesthood Blessings,” Ensign, Nov. 1995, 63

When we walked outside, after her blessing, we were greeted by this beautiful rainbow.  It reminded all of us that the Lord keeps His promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment