When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Sunday, September 5, 2010

Sunday Devotional - The Proclamation on the Family


Today, I thought that I would start talking about the family proclamation.

The Family Proclamation was given to the members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints nearly 15 years ago.  It was first read by President Hinkley in a General Relief Society Meeting on September 23, 1995.  This brief and concise document summarizes the doctrine of the church in relation to the importance of families.  It also proclaims marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God, identifies methods for building successful marriages and families, and reminds individuals they will one day stand accountable before God.
Today, the wisdom in this document is becoming even more evident as the world continues to move away from the things of God.
It is a wonderful document. Our families can use it to fortify ourselves against the ways of the world.  This document has been around since before my last three children were born.  We have taught it, talked about it, posted it and used it as a tool in bettering ourselves and our family.

First and second Paragraph

WE, THE FIRST PRESIDENCY and the Council of the Twelve
Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,
solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a
woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to
the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children.

ALL HUMAN BEINGS—male and female—are created in the
image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of
heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and
destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual
premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose.

My favorite paragraph is the second one.  It reminds me that we are each beloved sons and daughters of Heavenly Parents.    Sometimes, as I go through my day to day trials, I seem to forget that one very important concept, I am always loved, even when I don't feel particularly lovable.  As my family, is reading the proclamation and studying it this month, I am going over the parts of it that mean the most to me and sharing my own testimony of it with my children.
I want my children to have the comfort of knowing how much their Heavenly Father loves them.  I want them to know that they have a divine nature and destiny.
May we each remember that we truly are children of a loving Heavenly Father.  He knows us, He is aware of us, He never forgets us.  He allows us to make our own decisions but He does not abandon us.  He is always there, but we have to be the one to reach out and take His hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment