When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Monday, December 5, 2011

It Is Better To Look Up


May I never miss a sunset or a rainbow because I am looking down.
Sara June Parker

Isn’t that an amazing quote?  I found it and immediately loved it.  It reminded me of the conference talk given by Carl B. Cook during the last General Conference.  He told the story of when he was called to be a new general authority.  He got into the elevator with his head down, feeling all of the many burdens that come with the calling.  The elevator stopped and someone got inside.  He heard a voice ask,”What are you looking at down there?”  he knew that voice, it was the prophet, President Monson.  Seeing Elder Cook's downcast expression, President Monson advised him that "It is better to look up!" 
How easy is it to remember to look up?  I have found that when I do, I do not miss as much in the world around me.  Not only that, I also feel better.  When I am holding myself up, I start to feel “up” instead of down.  I find it interesting that how I hold my body helps to influence how I feel.  
What marvelous advice though, to simply look up.  Where is your focus?  We all have tough times, we might not be a general authority, we might not be sick, or we might not be having times that we think are particularly trying, but there is something in each of our lives that can be very difficult for us to deal with.  That something automatically makes us put our heads down.  When our heads are in that position (and it is not in prayer, just saying!), it makes it harder for us to feel happiness.  It makes it harder for us to feel gratitude,  It makes it so much harder for us to realize our blessings. 
So, my challenge today is to simply put your head up.  To keep your thoughts focused upward and outward, instead of downward and inward.  To remember that He knows your heart and your trials and He is right there with you as you make your journey.  If we exercise our faith, and look to God for help and guidance, we will not be overwhelmed with the burdens that we face.  As we look up to Him, He will lead us.  

2 comments:

  1. You always have the best quotes. Since I heard Elder Cook's talk at a fireside and then the same story at General Conference, I'm sure that I will always remember that story and lesson-one I always need.

    ReplyDelete