When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Thursday, June 27, 2013

We Are Not Perfect


"None of us is perfect.  I know of no one who would profess to be so.  And yet, for some reason, despite our own imperfections, 
we have a tendency to point out those of others.  
We make judgements concerning their actions or inactions".  Thomas S. Monson

Why do people have to do that?  I have a board at work that I write a quote on every day of the week.  I have people who love to read the quotes and love to bring me some when they find a good one.  I have been doing it for seven years, but I always make it a point to spell things exactly how they are quoted.  Depending on who said it, that might mean that the word is spelled differently than it is today. 
There are days when I want to respell the words, misquoted or not!  Especially when I have people who are so happy to point out the fact that I can't spell. 
This is just a small example of judgement.  There are so many more.  I try my best not to be guilty of it, but I know I am not always right.  I have met so many people lately who are scarey looking when you first met them (tatoos, large piercings everywhere, dreadlocks,ect), but when you get to know them, they are really just like me.  They are kind and good and just trying to do the best they can with what they know. 
It can be so easy to judge people because of appearances or "habits" instead of because of who they really are. 
We have been through a lot, having a daughter with tourettes.  It can be hard when she does things that aren't "normal" to those who don't know her.  But, after arguing with the school and fighting for her rights, this year she has really started to blossom.  She made a 3.8 grade adverage for the first time in four years. She always made straight A's until the tourettes decided to manifest.  She is a very concientious girl.  She worked hard to be good at school.  Then tourettes messed with her focus and her concentration.  She went from all A's to D's. 
It has been a rough four years and the school was trying to tell us that it was her own fault.  They have even told me that it is my fault that she gets bad grades.  So, after fighting, they finally gave her a 504 plan and all of the sudden, she has A's again.  She feels like people finally believe her.  It is amazing how much changing happened when she stopped being judged and started being supported. 
I have learned a lesson from all of this.  Every single human being needs to be encouraged and supported, no matter what we might think their problem is.  Especially if there is a problem.  Especially if they are struggling.  Sometimes, we just need to know that we are cared for and loved.  We can change the world of someone just by letting them know that they are needed and wanted and loved. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this story about judging and what you have learned from your daughter's experience with Touretts. Do you think God helped you and your daughter triumph over that challenge?

    ReplyDelete