When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Monday, June 17, 2013

Adversity - Haunts me daily


"Adversity is the state in which man most easily 
becomes acquainted with himself, 
being especially free of admirers then."  
John Wooden

Can you remember a time when you were involved in a bad situation?  A time that was creating much adversity in your life?  I know that I have seen so many of those times in my own life.  During those times when life's problems confront me, I tend to start having feelings of self-doubt and loneliness.  I even start to question if I am loved and needed.  Sometimes, it seems as if my friends have left my side and I am all alone.    There does not seem to be anyone around me who can help me work out those difficult issues.
I have learned that it is not easy to face our weaknesses at any time, but I have come to know that the times I make the most changes and see things the most clearly are during those times of adversity that I hate so much.  As I learn to deal with my trials, my character becomes clear to me and I learn a little more about myself.  I literally come to know myself through my journey. 
I love the scripture that says:
And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.
Ether 12:27
I believe that it takes courage to look inside ourselves and recognize our weaknesses.  To finally be able to recognize them and to surrender them to a loving Heavenly Father is the start of changes in our own hearts.   Through Him, we will become strong.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this post especially the last paragraph. I have felt just like you many times through my life. It does take courage to look inside ourselves and recognize our weaknesses. My youngest daughter and her husband are going to the Addiction Recovery program for the church. I think they go weekly. Neither one of them have any addictions except her husband with food. She says no one knows why the others are there but she has learned so much an believes in their 12 Step program. She said it has opened up her eyes to looking inside of herself and recognizing her weaknesses and then letting the Savior provide the healing.
    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one too: 2 Corinthians 12:8-10

    "Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

    I have leaned on this verse SO SO many times.

    And you are NEVER alone....I may not be with you in the flesh, but I think about you often, and think about how absolutely wonderful and kind you are. Love you Patty Ann!!

    ReplyDelete