When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Monday, May 2, 2011

Who is Welcomed Here?


A while back, someone in the choir collapsed on the floor by the door.  I rushed over to her and spent some time finding out what was wrong, helping her up, taking her somewhere quiet to sit, getting her something to eat and water to drink.  I kept checking on her for nearly an hour, until she started to feel better and finally, after I made her drink three bottles of water and eat a granola bar, let her go home.  
It never would have entered my mind not to help her.  She was sick, she needed someone to do for her what she could not do for herself.  I did not waste any time, and neither did three other people who rushed to her side and quickly helped.  I can't even imagine anyone blaming her because she was sick.  I can't imagine anyone thinking it was her fault, or accusing her by saying that she just wanted attention.
So, I am wondering tonight why we can't all have the same compassion for all of the people we meet.  Why can't  we give the homeless person money for food without wondering if he is going to use it to buy his current drug of choice?  Why can't we help someone we don't know without criticism or doubt?  There are so many choices we make today because of things that "might" happen.
I can't help thinking that Jesus didn't ask, if the person who needed His help, was good or bad.  He didn't ask if they made bad choices.  He just healed them.  He made the lame man walk, the blind man see, and even made the dead to live again.  He did all those mighty miracles without asking who was closest to perfect, or who had repented for all their sins.  He didn't ask who was worthy, or who held the highest religious office.  He did those things for those people who needed those miracles.
So, today my question is simply, who needs Him most?  Are there those among us who are hurting, who are crying, who are different, who are sick or afflicted?  Are there those among us who aren't quite like we are?  Do we shun them?  Do we ignore them, or shut them out?
I have an older daughter, who has made different decisions in her life than I have.  When she was a youth, the Young Woman's president came to me and told me that my daughter was no longer welcome in their class.  She was not welcome at their activities.  She was not welcome anywhere.  Now, I would be the first person to know how difficult that child could be, but I also know that she needed those girls in her life.  When they did not want her, she went and found other kinds of friends.  People who were more willing to accept her.  I think it is important to note that she did not ask to leave her classes until after she knew that they had, for all intents and purposes, "kicked" her out.
Somehow, I don't think that Christ would have left my daughter alone.  I can't imagine Him refusing to comfort her and heal her.  I can't believe for a moment that He could not look past her difficulties and find the child that I love.
That is the message today.  Underneath every single one of us, is a child to love.  Within each son or daughter is a spark of Godhood.  That little wonderful light that leads us surely home.  If I know that God can love the people who are different in whatever way, than I also need to love them.  Maybe they are angry, or mean, or rude.  Maybe they make bad choices, maybe the hurt people.  Maybe they are sick or afflicted, maybe they have an illness that I don't understand.  Whatever is wrong, it isn't up to me to decide.  I don't know the whole story.  I only see the part of their life that they permit me to see.  I don't have to worry about the judgement or the mercy they will be given.  I can love them, and let Heavenly Father be the judge.  He, and He alone knows the content of their hearts.
And just so you know, my daughter has grown to be an amazing young woman and mother in her own right.  She doesn't do things the same as me, but she is one of the most loving, giving and caring people that I know.  She means the world to me and I am so proud of her accomplishments, and I still love her so very, very much.

9 comments:

  1. We all need each other and need to feel accepted. You are right. Jesus accepted everyone, and so should we. It isn't always easy, but the more we get to know someone, the easier it is to see what our Heavenly Father sees. Your poor daughter who had to suffer through that. I can't imagine that pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What powerful and true words you wrote here today. These need to be shouted from everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was an awesome post. These thoughts should be discussed in every class at church. I served with a RS Pres. that decided that one sister's house was too dirty to have Visiting Teachers. I was saddened by that.Later on I convinced her to assign Visiting Teachers again. Since then I have been friends with her and she has a really difficult life. It is so true we should not judge; but help those in need that is exactly what Christ expects of us.
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story is both touching and heart breaking. I am so sorry about what your daughter went through! I wish, so much, that we could all see each other the way Jesus Christ does; then we would all love each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo! Well said, my dear friend. I really love the "It never would have entered my mind not to help her. She was sick, she needed someone to do for her what she could not do for herself."

    God in Heaven, can you imagine if we all would act like that? How proud You would be of us all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patty, you always have so many good posts. I'm sorry that happened to your daughter. I'm glad you help the lady in need. It is true, we just never know the whole story. I'm glad Jesus didn't judge but just helped every single one of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for pointing us to the example that Jesus was in reaching out to those in need. I like what you said about loving others and letting our heavenly Father be the judge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are not to be the judges, no. We are to be Jesus to a hurting world. And just as a physician does, he healed the sick, the hurting. Because as you said, and as Jesus said in Luke while visiting with Zaccheaus, a doctor visits the sick.
    Thanks for sharing your heart here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In regards to your daughter, I am SO SORRY. I've had some tough, tough kids to love in a couple of callings and I can relate to wanting to throw in the towel. But I never did with anyone. Quite frankly, it was more important for your daughter to go, then for the Young Women's president to go. The Young Women's program is more for your daughter's sake, then the president. So the program should have been remolded to fit her, as in find someone who could connect with her. Just my humble opinion. Especially if she was still willing to come at all.

    I have a different perspective on giving to homeless people or anyone begging for money. Charity can be mixed with wisdom. I give assistance in the form of food or other means, but I no longer give money. I've seen first-hand, my donations go to liquor. After the last very visible time, I realized I was enabling their addictions. And if there are food missions, shelters and such available, it is more likely that the money is enabling what causes the greatest suffering. Use care, love and your wisdom in giving, because their judgment is usually quite impaired.

    Blessings and thanks for your beautiful thoughts and for your daughter's experience. That's a hard one.

    ReplyDelete