When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Friday, January 18, 2019

Happiness is Something We Are


Too often, we think of happiness as a goal.  Something that we are supposed to get.  Something that someone else makes us feel.  Too often, we don't realize that happiness is always something that is within ourselves.  No one else has the right or the responsibility to make us happy.  It is something within ourselves.  It is our own opportunity to become a little better.
I have noticed, that when I was younger and did not know any better, I would expect those around me to help "make" me happy.  In the same way, I would tell my children when they "made" me angry, or "made" me sad.  I had to grow up to realize, that in reality, they never had that power over my emotions.  Only I have that kind of power. 
It is easy to focus on the should have's and could haves.  I am learning that the only way to be truly happy is to focus on the present, exactly how it is, in all it's mixed up, craziness and overwhelming glory. 
We might not be perfect, the place might not be perfect, our families might not be perfect, and neither are our friends and neighbors.  But we can each have nearly perfect moments along the way and choose to be happy.   

No comments:

Post a Comment