When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Becoming Like Him - Day 22 - Expect

For my 31 days of writing, I am linking up over at Heading Home and over at the Nester. There are several of us that are taking the 31 day writing challenge. Kate has suggested that we spend 31 days of Five minute writing. You can use the prompts or write about anything you would like, you just need to write.

I am sharing my journey for 31 days as I strive to become more like Him. My prayer is that you can find hope and peace in my words.


When you release expectations, 
you are free to enjoy things 
for what they are, 
instead of what you 
think they should be.  


Today the prompt is:

EXPECT

START

I am grateful to have this prompt today.  Too often in my own life, I expect things to be a certain way.  I expect my children to behave a certain way, or smile, or laugh or have fun.  I expect them to be reverent in church and to listen to their teachers.  I expect them to treat me like they love me.  In case you haven't guessed, I am a mother of three teenagers and absolutely nothing goes the way I expect it to.
I am learning, way too slowly, in my journey to allow them to be themselves.  In all their teenage glory and righteousness.  But I am finding, as I release the expectations that I am holding them to, these beautiful and wonderful spirits hidden beneath my own requirements.  The young ladies that they are becoming are so much more than I ever dreamed they could be.
I have also had very high expectations for myself in my life.  Usually so high, that I can't possibly succeed.  Making me a failure before I even begin.  I am also learning to be a little more kind and gentle with myself.
In the scriptures it tells us that we are required to forgive all men, I believe that includes ourselves.  Sometimes, what is easy to forgive in another is so much more difficult to forgive in myself.  I always think that I should have, could have and needed to know better.
I am so grateful for a loving Savior who knew that I would need His sacrifice.  Part of becoming more like Him is to recognize how very much I need Him in my life.  It is to know, intimately, His Mercy and Grace.  When I stop having unreal expectations for myself and everyone else, I become free to recognize the tender mercies that I am surrounded with in my life.
May you also learn to enjoy and absorb those things that are real, instead of expecting them to be something else entirely.

STOP

1 comment:

  1. You carried this message right into my heart. Loved it all and I have certainly felt like you. I remember raising my teenagers and I did have high expectations. At one point too high; so I soon learned to relax and they are such wonderful and faithful adults today. Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete