When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Monday, August 22, 2011

What Question are You Asking



I spent so much of my life, wanting, no needing to be better.  It seems as if I always thought I wasn't good enough.  I wasn't pretty enough.  I wasn't like others enough.  I wasn't clean enough.  I wasn't spiritual enough.  I wasn't ever enough.  I did not understand what was wrong with me.  Why others did not like me.  Why I was so alone.
That feeling, that question, has lingered most of my life.  I am sure that I have asked my Heavenly Father way too many times,  "What is wrong with me?  Why am I not the person that they want?"


I have been on this lifelong quest to find the reason, the flaw, the thing about me that’s wrong. I tell myself that if only I fix the mistakes, then I can change the person that I am.  I could become that woman that others want me to be.


The question is wrong.


The question that I’ve been asking God and everyone else throughout my life, is not the right question.  It is the same question you might have been asking too, whenever something goes wrong in your life.  Whenever you hoped for a different outcome.  Whenever you wanted something different than you received.  


We have to stop asking that question.  We have to stop wishing that we were someone else, someone new, someone different, someone not ourselves.


But the only answer, God's answer, is His whispers to stop asking. He wrote the scriptures for me.  To show me the person that I need to be.  His words tell me that I am beautiful. He made me. I am loved.  I am not forgotten.  I am enough.  
Those answers are not the answer to my question.  But they are the RIGHT answers.  They are the answer to the only question that matters.  The question that I did NOT ask.  The question that I should have asked.  
Who Am I?  

May we each come to know that answer.  That we are children of a loving Heavenly Father.   That He loves us and we love Him.  That His way is the only way that is sure.  That His path is the only one that we need to follow.  And that through our lives and our deeds, those around us may also come to know Him and see who they are and may come even nearer unto Him.  

It was George Bernard Shaw who said, “If we all realized that we were the children of one father, we would stop shouting at each other as much as we do.”

Psalm 30:5 For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.

4 comments:

  1. I have asked myself that HORRIBLE question SO MANY TIMES!!! I sort of did it again this morning... but I recovered. Thank you for your wonderful reminder that I am not alone - and I am SOMEHOW enough. :) And thanks for visiting me today! :)
    Corine :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing your heartfelt thoughts ... incredible! I struggle quite often with my testimony of His love for me -- I know it in my head, but it sometimes doesn't stay rooted in my heart.

    This is exactly the kind of post I'd love to have linked up to my Meditation Mondays series, if you'd be interested. I host a link up every Monday.

    Even if you're not, thx for sharing. It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the thought that our Heavenly Father loves us and has our picture on his fridge.
    I think we have all had thoughts like you have. We are human and we tend to have high expectations of what we think we should be. We just need to recognize we are a work in progress and develop the strong bonds with our Heavenly Father and Savior through prayer and the scriptrues.
    Blessings to you and keep on enjoying the moments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so easy to fall for the traps of this world. Looking for answers from others about who we are is something only God, our creator, can answer. Thank you for this thought provoking and honest post. God bless you, and know that you are "enough" for me. =)

    ReplyDelete