When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Monday, May 17, 2010

I might need to call for help!


I heard a talk yesterday that touched my heart and made me think.  The message was truly wonderful. I pondered it for most of the day and I wanted to share it with you. 
The story (in this case it happens to be true) was told by a man who was called to the ER to help do an emergency surgery on an older gentleman who needed a hip replacement.  The man was in a tremendous amount of pain and having a hard time with being moved for anything during the preparation for the surgery. 
The man required several people to lift him and place him on the gurney to go to the surgery room and he started yelling, "I need my cell phone, I need my cell phone, I NEED my cell phone!"  There were doctors and nurses and orderlies gathered around the gurney and they looked at each other with puzzlement on their faces.  This man was soon to be unconscious and would not even hear the phone ring!
Finally, the doctor took the gentleman's hand and said, "Sir, I don't think that you will need that today."  The man replied, "Yes I do, I might need to call for help!"

How many times are we like that older gentleman in our own lives.  There are people around us who know how to help and they even want to help us, they care about us, they want us to succeed, they are trying, to the best of their ability, to take away the pain or make it bearable.  And we, who are in the midst of adversity, can't see that they are there to help.  We can't see or understand that they might just be the answer to our prayers.  All we see and know is that we are hurting, that we feel so alone, that no one could possibly understand, and that life is perhaps even a little (or a lot) unfair. 
How many times do we turn away from the help that is offered because it doesn't meet with our expectations?  How many times do we cling to the past comforts just like this older man was clinging to his cell phone.  The cell phone was not going to be able to replace his hip, and let's face it, it was not going to be able to take away the pain either. 
So, what are you holding onto that you think makes you feel safe, but probably isn't what you need at all.  What are you clinging to that you need to let go of? 
Are the things that you are clinging to, leading you toward, or away from the Savior?  He knows what you need in your life.  He knows what you need right this moment.  He is holding your hand.  He will send you the help that you require to get you through, and most of all, you are never, ever alone. 
Remember, if you need to call for help, He doesn't require a cell phone. 

 
Where can I turn for peace? Where is my solace
When other sources cease to make me whole?
When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,
I draw myself apart, Searching my soul? …
He answers privately, Reaches my reaching
In my Gethsemane, Savior and Friend.
Gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching.
Constant he is and kind, Love without end.

No comments:

Post a Comment