When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Tuesday, January 26, 2010

No Mere Mortals

I heard this story in church on Sunday and was amazed at the inspiration of these two men.  I thought that I would share it with you.  I hope that it inspires you to be just a little bit better.
The story of Dick and Rick Hoyt



I understand that we never really know the greatness of those around us–whether they’re our friends, students, our bosses, our employees, the mailman, the grocer, or the homeless amputee asking for a handout. Sometimes we find ourselves face to face with the glory of another person, and marvel that we hadn’t recognized it before.  Sometimes, we forget to look for the good in others and because we don't look, we don't see the spark of the divine in their eyes.
Only when we truly love them will we see them as they really are and will we realize all that they can accomplish.

C.S. Lewis penned in “The Weight of Glory”:
"It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you can talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship... There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations–these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit–immortal horrors or everlasting splendours."

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE that quote too and have it in my quote file! And I cry every single time I see that video. What an awesome dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never saw the video before. I heard the story on Sunday and came home and looked it up. I was so impressed! What an amazing man!

    ReplyDelete