When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Saturday, June 25, 2011

Five Minute Friday - Wonder

This is my favorite time of the week. A time when I get to beg, borrow or steal five minutes while the kids are watching a movie and eating ice cream. A time when the roosters and the chickens are in bed for the night and I have a few moments to myself to put something down on paper. A time when I get to go and join my friends over at The Gypsy Mama and read what they write.



In just five minutes.


To paint my own verbal picture. To just write and not worry if it’s just write or not.

1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. Get a little crazy with encouragement for the five minuter who linked up before you.

Today, the prompt is simply: Wonder

 Start

Wonder
a : a cause of astonishment or admiration : marvel
b : miracle


When I think about wonder this week, I can't help thinking about the wonders of God in my life.  I know that I am astonished at His mercy and magnitude.  I am going to share with you something that I have kept back.  This week, there have been several fires, all close to where we live.  One of them is less than six miles away and has burned down the utility lines.  The entire town was without power for a day and a night.  Since then, they are telling us the power could still go out at any time.   The fire is still burning.  The flames are still along the lines and putting us in danger again of not having electricity or phone service.  I have been on call every night at the fire station to try and help the people who this is hardest on.  I have been out on runs every night and am now functioning with little sleep. 
It is a wonder to me that God has given me the strength to continue to help where I am needed.  We have another fire twenty miles away, north of one of the lakes, and of course, the fire that is 50 miles away that is the biggest fire in Arizona history.  The forest is so dry.  We are in need of water in all the areas. 
The wonder for me is that, with all the destruction and difficulties, I am seeing the best in people.  Communities coming together and helping each other and working to keep everyone safe.  I have seen Post Offices moved into new locations, mail sorted out, and people getting their mail far away from their "real" homes.  I have seen total strangers living in the homes of total strangers.  I have seen such an outpouring of love and support for each and every person. 
The wonder for me is in seeing the blessings that come in spite of (or maybe even because of) the trials.  It is seeing people pull together, work together and care for each other. 
It is seeing the miracle of love in action.

STOP
What wonders have you seen this week?

7 comments:

  1. I keep saying I'm going to do this. But I keep missing it.

    Excellent post..once again! I'll be praying for your safety! Get your rest, take care of yourself...you have a lot more memories to make!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pattyann, thanks for visiting my post. And yes, what a wonder how people put their best forward in times of such dire need. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all treat each other with such compassion all the time? And thanks be to God for the power to keep going and offer help to others during these trials! May you be safe as you bring blessings to others. God have mercy and bring the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pattyann,
    Thanks for visiting my blog and your comment. It is wonderful (and wonder...) that in times of distress we do come through as humans - helping one another. God built that into us.
    And yes we need to remember to do this all the time.
    We spend 6 months in Arizona during the winter. What part are you from?
    Blessings,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! :D Isn't it great to see the wonder and beauty in people? I LOVE PEOPLE! :D
    Corine :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been wondering about the fires out there. I've almost been afraid to ask, but I"m so glad you said something, that you are safe. Praying for rain!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all so much!! Just pray for rain. Wee need that more than anything else out here!!

    ReplyDelete