When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Thursday, March 17, 2011

Fasting - Isn't very fast

Does fasting make you HUNGRY?
If so…
"Feed" yourself spiritually
"Feast" upon the scriptures

We are a family that tries our hardest to do the things that are right.  Most of the time, it is not easy.  As a matter of fact, trying to choose the right can be downright hard!  One of the more difficult things that we do is fast.  I taught a lesson on fasting in Relief Society a couple of months ago.  So, since I was teaching, I often use the things I am learning on my own family.  We talk about the different principles and how to live them together.  
My youngest daughter listened to the lesson, then she came over and climbed on my lap, put her arms around my neck and whispered in my ear.  "Mom, do you remember when I was still a little girl?" 
(I smiled because she is still pretty little to me).  
"Of course I do Nie nie, why?"  
"Well", she said, "I used to think that fasting wasn't something you did.  It was just something that meant the day went by really, really fast!"
I laughed at her.  "Does the day still seem to go by fast?"
"Oh no, mom, sometimes it is really, really slow."

I love my children.  They are so good about trying to do their best.  Sometimes Sundays can be very slow when you are hungry and you want to eat.  But, this gave us a wonderful opportunity to talk about fasting for others and fasting with a purpose.  We have been able to fast for family members and for each other.  The girls have been able to see prayers answered and lives changed.  They know that fasting is hard, but it is also something that can bring the Spirit into our lives and help those we love.  
Fasting has to be with a purpose.  We usually find someone to fast for.  As we turn our hearts and prayers toward others, we are blessed in our own lives.  This year has been an amazing experience for our entire family as the girls have added their own fasts and prayers to those who need them.  They have been able to see and experience the results of their own simple faith. Sundays have become a day of joy, worship and family for us.  Sometimes they go a little slow, but other times, it is a day that passes very, very fast.
  
Fasting without a purpose is called starvation.  
It serves no spiritual purpose. 

3 comments:

  1. So true! I love fasting... I have had some wonderful, spiritual experiences from fasting (esp. when I carry it out longer), but only when I am serious about it and really pray and study intently over a very real purpose.

    PS your little girl is SO ADORABLE! :D Thanks for letting us enjoy her sweet dialogue and photo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are priceless words. Love it. And it is true, if my kids or I forget that it is fast day, sometimes we wait for another day, because it requires preparation, fasting for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute comment from your daughter. It goes by pretty slow for me sometimes!

    ReplyDelete