When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sunday Devotional - Giving Thanks


As Thanksgiving approaches, our minds turn to the subject of gratitude. In the most recent General Conference, our prophet, President Thomas S. Monson, talked about the importance of gratitude. He started his sermon with a story from Luke 17 in the Bible. This chapter tells of Jesus Christ who encountered ten lepers. They pleaded with him to heal them of their lepresy, so they could return to their previous lives. Jesus instructed them to show themselves to the priests, which they did. They were healed, but only one turned back to thank Jesus for His service to them. Jesus noted the gratitude of the man and blessed him for it.

It was not that Jesus needed their gratitude. It was that the men needed to be grateful. Being thankful and noting that their blessings come from God, not their own doing, helps them to continue on the path to their Heavenly Father. Only when we recognize His hand in our lives can we become everything God wants us to be.
As we start our week of Thanksgiving, let us not forget the give gratitude to those who have influenced out lives and let us remember to be thankful for the small everyday gifts that we receive.  I have found that when I am truly grateful for the small things in my life, I can see and appreciate the other things that are always there if I only take the time to look.  All roads have led me here.  I am so thankful for the place I am in.  

"And in nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things, and obey not his commandments" (D&C 59:21). 

1 comment:

  1. I think it is always a wonderful idea to remind family and friends to be thankful for all the blessing we have, so thank you for the reminder my friend!

    Love the photo too! Great composition and I love the blue coming through to contrast with the rest of the photo!

    ReplyDelete