When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Things Will Change

A few weeks ago, we were driving on our nearly famous vacation off to the other side of the world, (it felt like that!) and we found a blizzard on the way.  This was not the ice cream varity that one of my favorite stores is known for.  This was the real wind, cold, snow, sleet, low visibility kind of blizzard. 
On our journey, our knuckles got tired of being white and the van needed gas, so we pulled off the freeway somewhere in the State of Oklahoma.  I have no idea where we were, it was a blizzard, remember???
We stopped at a convienence store and my husband filled the car with much needed gasoline while I took the girls into the restroom and than through the store to find a drink and a snack. 
We were standing in the short line behind a man who was complaining to the clerk about the weather, (I wonder why?).  The man was upset because his travel plans were delayed and he was staying at a local hotel.  I listened to him complain and than the clerk, with a big smile, said, "That's Oklahoma for you!  Yesterday it was 60 degrees outside, today it is a blizzard!  If you wait another day or two the weather will change again.  That is our state motto.  If you don't like it today, just wait awhile and it will change". 

I loved his answer.  I need to incorporate it a little more in my life.  We all have problems.  Circumstances beyond our control.  Bad things happen to everyone of us on this journey that we call life.  None are exempt from trials and tribulations (even though we might think we wish to be).   The Lord has counseled us,  “Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee” (Isaiah 41:10).
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles has said, "I testify that the Savior’s Atonement lifts from us not only the burden of our sins but also the burden of our disappointments and sorrows, our heartaches and our despair.  From the beginning, trust in such help was to give us both a reason and a way to improve, an incentive to lay down our burdens and take up our salvation. There can and will be plenty of difficulties in life.  Nevertheless, the soul that comes unto Christ, who knows His voice and strives to do as He did, finds a strength, as the hymn says, "beyond [his] own."  The Savior reminds us that He has "graven [us] upon the palms of [His] hands."  Considering the incomprehensible cost of the Crucifixion and Atonement, I promise you He is not going to turn His back on us now. When He says to the poor in spirit, "Come unto me," He means He knows the way out and He knows the way up. He knows it because He has walked it. He knows the way because He is the way". 
(Broken Things to Mend, Gen Conference, Apr 2006)
All we need to do is turn to Him and wait a little while, things WILL change. 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post! I love Oklahoma's state motto! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ninny, I loved the motto and thought that I need to be just a little more like that! Thank you for reading.

    ReplyDelete