When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Monday, April 19, 2010

Is it all about "ME"?

 "Sing unto the Lord; for he hath done excellent things; this is known in all the earth. 
Cry out and shout, thou inhabitant of Zion;  for great is the Holy One of Israel in the midst of thee".  
2 Nephi 22:5-6  
We had an interesting weekend.  A few weeks ago, my daughter and I were asked to sing at the local "Sing and Celebrate" community event that is hosted every year by the Methodist Church.  We invited a few people to come to the event.  It is something that the kids really enjoy every year.  The music is fun and upbeat and it is all about the Savior.  One of the people that we invited stated that they did not like it because it was the same thing every year.  I told them that we have been going for the last several years and that it was all different and had different people every year.  This person than said, "If they want me to come, someone needs to invite me".  Miracle and I both said that we would love to have them come.  This person replied, "No, I only come if I am invited to perform."
I thought about that and I have to admit that first I was a little bit "miffed" about the attitude.  Then, I got over it and just felt genuinely sorry that someone would refuse to attend, simply because they were not in the show.  I am sorry for what they missed by choosing to have that attitude.  We have been here for four years and this is the first year that we have been asked to perform, although we have attended every year.  We have always watched others with enthusiasm and enjoyment.  It is one of the things the girls look forward to and a way to help bring our community together, no matter what the individual beliefs are. 
There were several people who were amazing last night.  One was the Lutheran minister.  He also teaches my girls (and myself, although I think I may be his biggest challenge) to play piano.  He did some amazing numbers.  Everyone of the girls loved the piano, because they finally appreciate how difficult those pieces are to play.  They all looked at each other and said a reverent "Wow!"  I told them that my dream is that someday they will play like that!  They let me know that I am crazy!
Miracle and I sang in the middle of the program.  She was wonderful.  We received so many compliments.  Many people could not believe how grown up her voice sounds.  She is quite the little singer and this year in College has been one of the best things that has ever happened for her. (Can you tell that I am so proud of her?).  The program ended with the barbershop chorus.  This is an all man group that sings in a city 45 minutes away.  They were so wonderful.  They sang completely without accompaniment and did it on tune and in harmony!  I loved the evening.  This year was so good.  They had many people that I have not heard before and they had so many different types of talent.  It was an evening of sharing and rejoicing in the gifts that Heavenly Father sends to His children. 

Are there things in our own lives that we choose to miss because we aren't involved in the performance?  Do we find excuses not to read the scriptures, because they weren't written about us?  Do we find excuses not to go to church or class because we are not the one speaking or teaching?  Many of the things that happen in our lives are not about us.  Sometimes we need to put those things in their proper perspective. 

We are each here to bear one anothers burdens, mourn with those who mourn, comfort those who stand in need of comfort, cheer up the sad, and gladden the hearts of our brothers and sisters.  We are each here to share the joys and the sorrows with each other, to share our talents and our testimonies, and yes, we are even here to sometimes clap and cheer others on in their pursuits.  We do those things that all may be edified and encouraged in their journey.  We cannot return to our Heavenly Father all by ourselves.  We need the encouragement and understanding of those around us.  We need to both, follow the examples of others and be examples to those around us, as we progress and come closer to our Heavenly Home.
 
Me and my Miracle

Lift Up Your Heart
by Sally DeFord

Lift up your heart in faith, for God is ever nigh you
Eager to bless his children
Mindful of every child
Lift up your heart in prayer, for God will ever heed you
Seek him in every sorrow
Find him in every need
Lift up your heart through tears of grief
He will give you peace
And heal you

Lift up your heart in praise of Him who hath redeemed you
Praise his unfailing mercy
Praise his unchanging love
Lift up your heart, for by his might
He doth guard your path
And guide you

Lift up your heart unceasing
Praising the Savior's name
Lift up your heart for he hath ransomed you
Lift up your heart for he doth succor you
Lift up your heart for he doth offer you
A crown of everlasting life.

2 comments:

  1. What a touching poem. I like where its says "by his might he doth guard your path"
    Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It is a song and it is beautiful! We used the SSA version and I "bounced" between the Alto and 2nd Soprano parts. Depending on what sounded the best! It was a pleasure to sing and one that I had not heard before.

    ReplyDelete