When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Friday, November 11, 2011

Five Minute Friday - Unexpected


On Fridays around these parts we join The Gypsy Mama where we stop, drop, and write.
For fun, for love of the sound of words, for play, for delight, for joy and celebration at the art of communication.



For only five short, bold, beautiful minutes. Unscripted and unedited. We just writewithout worrying if it’s just right or not.

Won’t you join us?

1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. Most importantly: leave a comment for the person who linked up before you – encouraging them in their writing!


OK, are you ready? Give me your best five minutes on:

Unexpected…



START


I expected so much from life.  I had big dreams and desires.  So many things that I would do and say and be.  I remember wanting to be a doctor.  Of wanting to help others and serve where I was needed.  So many moments in life for hard work and learning strength and compassion.  So many people who needed me, right that very minute.  So, my dreams were pushed to the back, and other needs took priority in my life.  I still expected so much, but the things I expected changed with time.  
I learned to be a nurse to my children, to serve with love, to make birthday cakes and home-made clothes.  I learned that money isn't everything, and that you can make do without your wants as long as you can cover the needs.  I learned how far a dollar can really go, if you need it to.  I received almost nothing that I expected in my life, but nearly everything that I could have dreamed of.  
In learning to deal with the unexpected, I learned that God never provides a challenge for us without a blessing to follow.  For me, one of the most unexpected blessings was the birth of my last child.  I was finished.  I was not going to have any more children.  I thought eight was enough, and the last one was so difficult that I did not want anymore.  I discovered I was pregnant because I became very ill.  In the course of treating the illness, the doctor discovered that I was going to have a baby.  I was shocked, I was scared, I was upset.  It was a completely unexpected gift.  
That pregnancy was one of the most difficult that I experienced.  I had diabetes that was diagnosed 4 weeks into my pregnancy.  Along with that,  I was sick the entire time and had to be on medication.  I lost five pounds over the nine months and did not gain any weight at all.  The baby was born on her due date and weighed in at a whopping 9 lbs and 11 oz.  
She has been an amazing gift to our family.  She is sweet, loving and kind.  She has blessed us with her love and her amazing outlook on the world around her.  I have learned that the unexpected can lead to the greatest gifts of all.  


STOP 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post...I am glad your last little unexpected surprise was born healthy. :) The unexpected gifts can be the greatest gifts of all.

    Kateri @ Dandelion Haven

    http://dandelionhaven.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. I agree with what you said. My life is like that too.

    ReplyDelete