When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Gift of Service



If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain; If I can ease one life the aching, Or cool one pain, Or help one fainting robin Up to his nest again, I shall not live in vain. -Emily Dickinson.

The Gift of Service is a curious thing.  It can lift the burdens of the receiver, but also bring joy and lift the burdens of the one who gives.  Why would I call service a gift?  I suppose that if you are the receiver, that could be rather obvious.  But what if you are the giver? 
To me, service is always a gift.  When you think about it, service is really the only thing that counts.  I don't slow down enough in my own life sometimes to really see the people around me.  If I open my eyes and look around, there are always people who really need someone to do something for them.  There are often not enough people who are willing and able to do what needs doing.  The thing that makes Serving a gift, is that we are actually doing something the Lord would do Himself if He were here.  It is becoming His hands, if only for a small moment.  It is easing the burdens, strengthening the feeble knees, and lifting up the hands and hearts that hang down.  Serving is a blessing that we get to participate in.  The gift is in being able to see what needs doing and being willing to do that small (or even large) thing. 

Jesus seems to be speaking to all of those who are willing to serve the Lord by serving their fellowmen, and also to those who are the recipients of this selfless service, when He declared:
"When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.” (Matt. 25:31–40.)
My prayer today is that each one of us will seek to develop within our own hearts, this beautiful and lasting gift.  That we may draw closer to our Savior as we seek to be more like Him.  This is one of my favorite songs.  It remind me that there are those in need all around me if I will just be willing to open my eyes and look.  You can listen to the song sung by Hilary Weeks, or scroll down and just read the words.  Either way, I hope they touch your heart today as they have touched mine. 



Somebody's waiting, not too far from here.

Somebody's down to their last dime
Somebody's runnin' out of time
Not too far from here
Somebody's got nowhere else to go
Somebody needs a little hope
Not too far from here

And I may not know their name
But I'm prayin' just the same
That you'll use me Lord,
To wipe away the tears

'Cause somebody's cryin'
Not too far from here

Somebody's troubled and confused
Somebody's got nothin' left to loose
Not too far from here
Somebody's forgotten how to trust
Somebody's dyin' for love
Not too far from here

It may be a strangers face
But I'm prayin' for your grace
To move me and take away the fear

'Cause somebody's hurting
Not too far from here

Help me Lord,
not to turn away
From Him
Help me not to rest
While those around me weep
Give me your strength and compassion
When somebody finds the road of life
Too steep

Somebody's troubled and confused
Somebody's got nothin' left to loose
Not too far from here
Somebody's forgotten how to trust
Somebody's dyin' for love
Not too far from here

Now I'm letting down my guard
And I'm opening my heart
Help me speak your love
To every need-full ear

Somebody's waiting
Not too far from here
Somebody's waiting
Not too far from here

6 comments:

  1. I completely agree with 'serving being a blessing'. I volunteered to teach 1st - 3rd grade Sunday school a few months ago. Since I started teaching, I have been blessed 100 times over! I think I'm actually learning more than the children are...and I look forward to each Sunday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Patty. Service is so important for both parties. It can really give you a sense of self and purpose in addition to the help you have provided for those that need it. It is truly God at work.

    That is a beautiful song and a perfect illustration of service as a blessing.

    I wish you a joyful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just dropped by to say hi. I read your postal comment over at rabbit in the headlights and would like to say, YOU GO GIRL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am working on it.

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
    Great young smile on you other blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you to all of you. I am pretty passionate about the gifts we receive and recognizing them for what they are. To me, they are always a blessing, sometimes we just need to remember that.

    ReplyDelete