When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Monday, March 22, 2010

Another Blizzard!

I have decided that there is just something about me and weather.  Somehow, where ever I am, it follows.  We left last Friday evening for a road trip to Missouri.  It was supposed to be a twenty one hour trip.  We had decided to drive all night and than see what we needed to do.  Somehow, we ended up getting stuck in an oncoming blizzard in New Mexico.
We dropped down to Highway 60.  It was a two hour detour, but since the Interstate 40 was completely closed, we thought it would be worth it to push on.  Instead, we ended up in a serious blizzard trying to get across the country.  We were able to make it through the state and into Texas, still fighting the storm and white-knuckling the steering wheel.  Neither of us got any sleep!  We were too afraid to close our eyes.  We kept each other awake all through the night and the day and the next night.  We were so tired!
We went 41 hours with no sleep.  A twenty-one hour drive took us about twenty seven hours.  The weather was terrible, we were in blizzard conditions for most of the trip.  John did not like driving in it and neither did I, but we both were afraid to stop because we might be stuck in it even longer.  We saw so many cars that spun out on the road, and even a jack-knifed big rig truck.  We also saw a car go right off of an embankment.  We were going the opposite way on the freeway.  John got off the freeway and we went on some back roads to try and get near the car and see if anyone was injured.  We were able to find them and give directions to EMS to get them help.  It was totally scary.  Thank goodness, the car hit several bales of hay instead of trees and everyone was OK.  I was so grateful for that.  The girls informed me, after I got back from hiking through the rain and brush, that they had said a prayer for the safety of those in the car.  They are really good girls!
I am so impressed when they think of things like that during an emergency.  My head kicks into my training mode and I forget about the spiritual things.  I was focused on the physical needs that are the result of an accident.  What a great lesson for me, that even though the girls were afraid, they still turned to their Heavenly Father first.  I think that I needed that lesson.  I need to turn to Him first of all and not wait until everything is said and done.
Elder M. Russell Ballard spoke at a Stake Conference.  He compared us to the pioneers and said:

"We all face rocky ridges, with the wind in our face and winter coming on too soon," he said. "Sometimes it seems as though there is no end to the dust that stings our eyes and clouds our vision. Sharp edges of despair and discouragement jut out of the terrain to slow our passage. … Today, we are all pioneers in a world where technological advances come faster than we can assimilate them, and in a world that seems to be spiraling out of control into an abyss of wickedness.
"If we are to survive and keep our families safe, we must remain anchored to the word of God as taught by the scriptures and modern-day prophets and apostles. We cannot afford to be caught up in the deceit of worldly logic."
I am so thankful that during the rocky ridges of my life, my children remind me to remain anchored in the Word of God.  They remind me what it means to have a pure, simple faith.  They remind me of what our Lord and Savior meant when he said, "Suffer the little children to come unto me and forbid them not, for such is the kingdom of heaven."  May we each be just a little closer to heaven today in the face of our own difficulties and trials.  May we remain anchored to the word of God as we seek to understand His teachings and follow Him.   

No comments:

Post a Comment