When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Saturday, February 6, 2010

Sharing Testimony

I was reading in one of my many books about testimonies.  One of the things that was brought up was that you need to bear your testimony often so that it grows.  It is also the responsibility of parents to teach their children to bear testimony.  I have been feeling like a complete failure as a mom in that particular area.
Most of our children are grown now, but we still have three little girls at home.  None of them like to stand up in church and bear their testimonies, even though they will do it at home.  I have one daughter that will not talk in church.  She will sing in front of hundreds of people.  She will even do solo's and has been doing them since she was three.  But do not ask her to speak to those same people.  It makes her cry!

Sometimes, it seems as if home is the place that we want people to just accept us how we are. We want them to forgive us, we want them to appreciate us, we want them to love us. We want them to see our potential instead of our reality.  As a mom, it is so easy to see all my shortcomings at home!  I have so many things I want my family to know and understand.  I have so many things I want to share with them.  Have you ever felt as though no one was listening?  
The wonderful thing that I have learned about a true testimony is that it is reflected not just in words, but also in deeds.  I have come to appreciate the deeds that show me how much they value their testimonies.  
My sweet daughter, Miracle, may never have born her testimony before, but she has sang it so many times.  She has blessed us with her talent and her music and helped bring the spirit more fully into a meeting.  My Mikayla, asks questions, finds answers, and loves to read the scriptures.  It is our morning habit, and all of them participate and talk about the stories that they are learning.  Kayla always directs us on where we are and what we need to read.  She is so giving to others and has a tender heart.  Anya is always happy and cheerful and teaches me what a good attitude can do to bring the spirit into our everyday life.   She is the one who can make me smile even on the worst of days.  
They may not bear their testimonies as often as the other children in our ward, but they each live that testimony through their actions.   I am in awe of their strong and valiant spirits.  

So, I had been praying about what to do and how to reach these wonderful little girls.  I had been praying for guidance on how to teach them of the importance of this great principle and how to encourage them to do something that they were so afraid of.  I have been praying to know that what I am doing is right and that they are learning what they need to know.  Without asking them or prompting them in any way, all three of the girls got up in Sacrament meeting and bore their testimonies.  It brought me to tears!  Their testimonies were so sweet and I was so overwhelmed with gratitude to my Heavenly Father that He would prompt them to do this when I was questioning my own abilities.
Isn't it amazing that He really does care for each one of us individually, He cares enough to answer such a simple prayer in such a way that there could be no mistaking it.  He knows exactly what we need most and when we need it.

"The relationship between testimony and appropriate action is emphasized in the Savior's instruction to the Saints in Kirtland: 'That which the Spirit testifies unto you even so I would that ye should do' (D&C 46:7). Our testimony of gospel truth should be reflected both in our words and in our deeds. And our testimonies are proclaimed and lived most powerfully in our own homes. Spouses, parents, and children should strive to overcome any hesitancy, reluctance, or embarrassment about bearing testimony. We should both create and look for opportunities to bear testimony of gospel truths—and live them."
David A. Bednar, "More Diligent and Concerned at Home," Ensign, Nov. 2009

May you find that spark of courage today that you need in order to share your testimony, in some way, with others.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like your special girls are as amazing as you are. It's great that you had a desire to teach them and followed inspiration about how to touch them.

    ReplyDelete