When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Thursday, September 5, 2013

Selfishness Suffocates the Spiritual


"Selfishness suffocates spiritual senses. Communicating with the Lord in prayer, [couples] grow together and not apart. . . . They express their love for each other and become closer. They lift and strengthen one another."
—Robert D. Hales, "Blessings of the Temple"

I have often thought that one of the hardest things about marriage is selfishness.  Especially when you are a working mom.  You work all day, and you come home to yet more work.  You don't get enough time to really be selfish, yet somehow, we find ways.  It is easy to want what we want.  It is easy to feel like we deserve things we don't have.  It is easy to take the selfish road.  It is easy to be right or at least, feel right.  It is easy to get frustrates, angry, moody and just plain disagreeable.
Selfishness is the easy road.  The higher road consists of putting others needs before our own.  My husband is so much better at that than I am.  I have suffered quite a bit the past couple of years with depression.  It has taken everything out of me.  I go to work, I function, but there have been times when that is the most that I can do.  So, my husband has really helped out.  He doesn't grip about it, or even get upset with me.  He has given me the time and space that I need to heal.
How amazing it is to be a partner with someone who knows I can't be everything that I would like to be.  Someone who teaches me the meaning of "for better or worse".  Someone who loves me in spite of my
illness and in spite of my weakness.  Someone who truly strengthens me, emotionally, physically and spiritually.  
As the years pass, my love grows stronger.  My testimony grows stronger too.  I am closer to my husband, and my Heavenly Father.  Unconditional love really is, well, unconditional.  It is there through thick and thin through good times and bad, through depression and salvation.  And I am loved, I am content, I am enough.

2 comments:

  1. Another great post. My husband has ADHD, so I can relate a lot to this, we have had some hard times and good times. They have made our marriage stronger. Being married makes us better people in the long run, we are learning to be more Christlike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I really liked your title and message on this one. I am certainly blessed to have people love me unconditionally regardless of what I think and feel sometimes. I am afraid that in todays world we are surrounded by selfish people which do need our love.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete