When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Saturday, January 19, 2013

5 minute Friday - Cherished

Five Minute Friday: Cherished



Around here we write for five minutes flat on Fridays.

We write because we love words and the relief it is to just write them without worrying if they’re just right or not. So we take five minutes on Friday and write like we used to finger paint. For joy in the process. No matter how messy the result.
Got five minutes? Come and write with us! 
1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking
2. Link back here at Lisa Jo's and invite others to join in.
3. Please visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. That is like the one rule we all really care about. For reals.
OK, are you ready? I’ve had this word in my own heart all week. Usually I’m wondering what the prompt will be and whether or not I will find the meaning in my own life.  But this week, this one is just perfect.  This week I think I needed this one word…
Cherished…
:GO
It is hard to push the keys on the computer.  Last Friday, I learned what cherish really means.  I learned that love is more than a thought and a word.  I learned that I have to be served sometimes.  No, I need to be served sometimes.  And love is the result of cherished service.  
Last week.  I broke my arm.  I slipped on some ice and fell on my elbow.  I knew it was broken as soon as I felt pieces in me move differently than they should.  My daughter and her friend went and got the first aid box from the car and splinted my arm.  I talked (or groaned) them through it.  
My husband came and got me, took me home to change into pj bottoms and bring extra clothes as I know they would be cutting the shirts off me.  He had to help me to the bathroom, collect my things and dress me.  Then we had an hour drive to the hospital.  Once there, we discovered that my elbow would need surgery and that I would have to be flown on a helicopter to the valley where I could get the care I needed.  He could not go with me, so he would need to drive three more hours to join me there.  
My son met me at he hospital and stayed until John could get down.  The day was filled with pain and surgery was a relief.  
Throughout all this, I have come to realize how much I am cherished.  My husband slept in a chair to be with me for two nights.  He has cared for me and watched over me for a week now.  He fixes meals, feeds me, helps bathe me, and is there for me through all of this.  My grown children have made sure that I know I am cherished and loved in each of their lives.
For me, cherished is being beside me through all of it.  The hard times, the rich times, the anguish and the aching.  Being cherished is holding on through the tough times, as well as the good.  It is knowing that I am more than the trial.  I am more than the pain.  I am loved.  I am cared for.  I am cherished.  
STOP

4 comments:

  1. beautiful! You are cherished by your family clearly, and also by God. Good job on FMF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just a lovely post today on being cherished; sweet! I broke my ankle and then after it was healed I broke my elbow. At my work I was called grace for a very long time. Many things are endured and learned when one is handicapped. I learned a lot and was so grateful for a good husband like yours and children that helped run to get things I needed.
    Blessings and hugs! Wishing you a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about your arm. This was a beautiful story. Thank you so much for sharing. You truly are an amazing woman. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patty Ann, good for you for participating in Five minute Fridays again! I ALMOST did it yesterday (at least, the thought crossed my mind). But I wrote another post and didn't get around to it. I think I will again. And what a great topic you had this time around! Speaking of which... YOU ARE DEFINITELY CHERISHED! I will tell you that though I have not even met you in person - I cherish you! You are a very special person! :)
    Corine :D

    ReplyDelete